The Writer's Circle
Please log in to join in the discussions
The Writer's Circle
Please log in to join in the discussions
The Writer's Circle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For writers and critics to come together

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Wise Words
When you are describing,

A shape, or sound, or tint;

Don't state the matter plainly,

But put it in a hint;

And learn to look at all things,

With a sort of mental squint.

~Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (Lewis Carroll)
Top posters
Kris
"The Reluctant Heiress" I_vote_lcap"The Reluctant Heiress" I_voting_bar"The Reluctant Heiress" I_vote_rcap 
Stainqueen
"The Reluctant Heiress" I_vote_lcap"The Reluctant Heiress" I_voting_bar"The Reluctant Heiress" I_vote_rcap 
Shiny Star
Naomi
Rin
Midori
Jay
mangagirl
Darkjam
EmperorZar
Poll

"The Reluctant Heiress"

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Stainqueen
Reader
Stainqueen

"The Reluctant Heiress" Empty
PostSubject: "The Reluctant Heiress"   "The Reluctant Heiress" I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 5:52 pm

This is yet another romance novel by Eva Ibbotson. Personally, I thought that this plot was fairly predictable (I had already figured out more or less the ending about 3/4 of the way through the book). Nevertheless, overall the plot was excellent. The story starts out with a lonely orphan boy who has managed to drive the orphanage caretakers crazy, so he goes to live with an elderly widow, who becomes his foster mother. This boy grows up and falls in love with a young woman named Nerine, but this young man, named Guy, is unsuccessful in asking for her hand because her family doesn't approve of his lowly rank. So Guy slinks off and begins building a fortune. On the other hand, Princess Theresa-Maria of Pfaffenstein has lost her fortune following World War I and the death of her parents. She leaves the countryside in hopes of freedom and asks her aunts to sell the castle. She then moves to Vienna and becomes the under-wardrobe mistress for a struggling opera company, keeping her identity a secret from everyone. One day, a young man arrives hoping to buy Pfaffenstein, and he does; his name is Guy. He hires the opera company that the princess (aka Tessa) works for to preform the Magic Flute when he comes to Pfaffenstein to surprise the girl that he hopes to have a second chance of marrying, Nerine. Only, Guy doesn't know that Nerine has already learned of Guy's increase in wealth, much less does he know about her terrible snobbery either. He and Tessa meet at the Opera company and many times after that, but Tessa is already "supposed" to marry Prince Maximillion of Spittau (who has already proposed 3 times). Along the way there are many dynamic characters. Although some of the German is a bit difficult to understand in some places, and once you can get over the fact that just about everyone has at least 2 names, then it is truely an enjoyable romance novel.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ceciliaruthbentley.weebly.com
Rin
Reader
Rin

PostSubject: Re: "The Reluctant Heiress"   "The Reluctant Heiress" I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 5:58 pm

That actually sounds like it could be pretty funny.
Back to top Go down
Stainqueen
Reader
Stainqueen

PostSubject: Re: "The Reluctant Heiress"   "The Reluctant Heiress" I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 6:07 pm

There were definitely chapters where I nearly burst out laughing, but there are also several grave chapters where one will not find much humor.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ceciliaruthbentley.weebly.com
Naomi
Reader
Naomi

PostSubject: Re: "The Reluctant Heiress"   "The Reluctant Heiress" I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 10:13 am

lol xD
I like manga better, but I think I'll read this ^^
Back to top Go down
Kris
Admin
Kris

PostSubject: Re: "The Reluctant Heiress"   "The Reluctant Heiress" I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 7:40 pm

I LOVE Eva Ibbotson's Which Witch. I read it in elementary school.
Back to top Go down
http://writerscircle.niceboards.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "The Reluctant Heiress"   "The Reluctant Heiress" I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"The Reluctant Heiress"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Writer's Circle :: Books :: Romance-
Jump to: