The Writer's Circle
Please log in to join in the discussions
The Writer's Circle
Please log in to join in the discussions
The Writer's Circle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For writers and critics to come together

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Wise Words
When you are describing,

A shape, or sound, or tint;

Don't state the matter plainly,

But put it in a hint;

And learn to look at all things,

With a sort of mental squint.

~Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (Lewis Carroll)
Top posters
Kris
For creating a magical land I_vote_lcapFor creating a magical land I_voting_barFor creating a magical land I_vote_rcap 
Stainqueen
For creating a magical land I_vote_lcapFor creating a magical land I_voting_barFor creating a magical land I_vote_rcap 
Shiny Star
Naomi
Rin
Midori
Jay
mangagirl
Darkjam
EmperorZar
Poll

For creating a magical land

Go down 
2 posters

Do you use a lot of archetypes when writing?
A Yes
For creating a magical land I_vote_lcap0%For creating a magical land I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
B. No
For creating a magical land I_vote_lcap67%For creating a magical land I_vote_rcap
 67% [ 2 ]
C. I don't know
For creating a magical land I_vote_lcap33%For creating a magical land I_vote_rcap
 33% [ 1 ]
D. Why should I care?
For creating a magical land I_vote_lcap0%For creating a magical land I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

AuthorMessage
Stainqueen
Reader
Stainqueen

For creating a magical land Empty
PostSubject: For creating a magical land   For creating a magical land I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 2:56 pm

Step 1: Come up with a cool name: Lets face it, names really are important and meaningful to the entirety of a storyline, so make it a good name!

Step 2: Tell the reader why the land is magical: describe several (more than 1 or 2) displays of magic, and maybe create a history of the land.

Step 3: Create awesome characters for this magical land: Cool land + Boring characters = boring!!!

Step 4: Add a twist: I know twists are often expected now a days, but it just adds more to the plot of a story in a magical land.

Step 5: Find your inner villain: create a villain or antagonist for your story because magical lands have bad guys too!

Step 6: (This is just me but...) AVOID ARCHETYPES!!!!: I love rejecting what my teachers say are in all works of literature, so avoid archetypes to make your story more interesting!!

Step 7: Continue writing and put yourself into it: Unless you are the most boring person on the planet, a little bit of a writer's personality in a story just makes the whole thing a lot better. (And if you are the most boring person on the planet, you have no reason writing anything other than a textbook!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.ceciliaruthbentley.weebly.com
Stainqueen
Reader
Stainqueen

PostSubject: Re: For creating a magical land   For creating a magical land I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 10:23 pm

Btw, you guys who don't use archetypes rock!
Back to top Go down
Kris
Admin
Kris

PostSubject: Re: For creating a magical land   For creating a magical land I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 8:41 pm

I try not to use archetypes because it ruins the story, but I honestly don't know for certain if I do!
Back to top Go down
http://writerscircle.niceboards.net
Stainqueen
Reader
Stainqueen

PostSubject: Re: For creating a magical land   For creating a magical land I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 8:51 pm

Exactly, archetypes are the cornerstone of predictability.
Back to top Go down
Kris
Admin
Kris

PostSubject: Re: For creating a magical land   For creating a magical land I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 8:31 pm

Stainqueen wrote:
There's another saying. With all the years of human history there is no story that hasn't been told. We can only rewrite them in our own styles.
Back to top Go down
http://writerscircle.niceboards.net
Stainqueen
Reader
Stainqueen

PostSubject: Re: For creating a magical land   For creating a magical land I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 9:57 pm

Kris wrote:
Stainqueen wrote:
There's another saying. With all the years of human history there is no story that hasn't been told. We can only rewrite them in our own styles.

Exactly, there's never anything new under the sun
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For creating a magical land   For creating a magical land I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

For creating a magical land
Page 1 of 1