The Writer's Circle
Please log in to join in the discussions
The Writer's Circle
Please log in to join in the discussions
The Writer's Circle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For writers and critics to come together

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Wise Words
When you are describing,

A shape, or sound, or tint;

Don't state the matter plainly,

But put it in a hint;

And learn to look at all things,

With a sort of mental squint.

~Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (Lewis Carroll)
Top posters
Kris
I Am the Messenger I_vote_lcapI Am the Messenger I_voting_barI Am the Messenger I_vote_rcap 
Stainqueen
I Am the Messenger I_vote_lcapI Am the Messenger I_voting_barI Am the Messenger I_vote_rcap 
Shiny Star
Naomi
Rin
Midori
Jay
mangagirl
Darkjam
EmperorZar
Poll

I Am the Messenger

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rin
Reader
Rin

I Am the Messenger Empty
PostSubject: I Am the Messenger   I Am the Messenger I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 7:45 pm

By Markus Zusak. Who's read it?

Because I am too lazy to type up a summary of the book, I will simply provide a link to the Wikipedia page and then follow up with my opinion of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Messenger_(Markus_Zusak_novel)

I comment Mr. Zusak for using a relatively new style of prose, one that is fresh and interesting. The book is first-person, so we're exposed to a lot of attitude and wry observations about the world. Fully developed paragraphs are rare if any actually exist- but that's okay, because we have fully developed sentences to read instead.

On the other hand, the plot-line is absolutely brilliant, and each sub-story has an emotional appeal that draws the reader in and makes them sympathize with the characters. For me, it's difficult to sympathize with people in...say, War and Peace. However, in "I Am the Messenger" the character's turmoils are laid out raw and described with modern slang that really make me feel their hurt and troubles. In line with this is the dialog- something that Kris knows I'm a huge stickler on. The dialog is perfect, it is real.

The one thing I take problem with is the end. I get kind of confused as to who the man who's been sending Ed on these missions is. Is he God? Is he just a really impossibly influential human? I infer that it's God, but it seems on a completely different string than the rest of the novel, so I honestly don't know.
Back to top Go down

I Am the Messenger
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Writer's Circle :: Books :: General Fiction-
Jump to: